Who can register the death
- A relative
- A person present at the time of death
- The person arranging the funeral
Where you can register a death
- At any registrar’s office within Northern Ireland. Please see our helpful contacts section for registrar offices.
Information required when registering a death
- Deceased full name, surname (and maiden name)
- Deceased date and place of birth
- Deceased date and place of death
- Deceased occupation
- Deceased usual address
- If married the name, occupation and date of birth of the surviving spouse
- Whether the person who died was receiving a pension or other public fund
Documents you will need to take
- Medical Certificate of the Cause of Death – If the death has been referred to the Coroner, the Coroners office will advise you what to do.
- Details of pension or allowance the deceased was receiving.
Documents you will receive from the registrar
- You will receive a form GRO21 from the registrar which we require to allow us to carry out the funeral arrangements. This should be delivered to the Funeral Director as soon as possible.